basic nutritionback to the basics
Basic nutrition is meant to be a guideline for people who want to eat healthy. It’s not a diet, but if you are suffering from overweight issue’s you will probably lose weight while following these guidelines. For inspiration and possibilities, every step of the way, consult the Inspiration list, Preference list, our recipes and Balance days.
Always start your day with a large glass of warm water (preferably boiled and slightly cooled) with a dash of fresh lemon juice.
Breakfast 8 am
For breakfast, choose one of the following options. They are ranked from light to heavy. Discover what works for you, depending on how hungry you are in the morning:
- A green smoothie. consisting of vegetables, plantbased milk or (coconut)water and max 1 piece of fruit.
- A bowl of plantbased yoghurt with muesli (2 table-spoons) and fresh fruit.
- A bowl of oatmeal with plantbased milk and fresh fruit.
Lunch 12:30 pm
For lunch, choose one or two of the options below, depending on your needs.
- Mixed salad (for example, lentils, rocket salad, avocado, basil, tomato).
- A bowl of hearty soup based on vegetables and/or legumes.
- 2 slices of wholemeal bread with soup.
Dinner 7 pm
Allow yourself to be inspired by our recipes for a nutritious dinner. A healthy dinner consists of:
- Half vegetables.
- A quarter of proteins from soya, quinoa, beans or legumes (lentils, chickpeas).
- A quarter of ‘slow’ carbohydrates (brown rice, potato, sweet potato, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread), or (pseudo) grains (buckwheat, millet).
By combining legumes with grains you create the optimum plantbased protein combination. This combination is beter absorbed in the body than when only grains or beans are consumed.
Make sure you consume enough fluids (at least 1.5 liters) preferably water and herbal tea.
Snack in between
If you need a snack, you can choose from the following:
- Raw vegetables.
- Handful of unsalted nuts.
- Piece of dark chocolate (>85%).
- Cup of plantbased yogurt, unsweetened.