Bloated stomach & menopause
Are you in the menopause and do you ever suffer from a bloated stomach? You can, because your hormones and gut are connected. This can cause a bloated stomach during menopause. Are you curious how this works and what you can do about it? We're going to explain that.
Why do I have a bloated stomach during menopause?
During menopause, your body produces more progesterone, a female sex hormone. The sex hormone estrogen is also partly responsible. The intestines become less strong and less digestive juices are produced. You can also retain more fluid during the transition, so that you can also get the feeling that you have a swollen stomach.
Reasons for a bloated stomach during the menopause
Because your intestines become less strong and produce less digestive juices, this results in excessive gas formation in the gastrointestinal tract. This does not always have to be the case, however. It could also be related to a food allergy or lack of exercise. Stress can be a cause of abdominal distention during menopause.
There are also other reasons for abdominal distention during menopause. The fructose substance that is in honey, fruit and certain vegetables, among other things, is difficult to digest, which means that you get a bloated stomach faster. Breathing too much air can also cause bloating. This can be because you talk, drink or eat too fast.
What can you do about it?
- With a bloated stomach during the menopause, it is also important that you move a lot. Think of sports, but walking and cycling are also a good way to reduce your bloated stomach.
- It is important to chew well and not to drink too much while eating.
- It is important that you get enough fiber. For example, consider fruits and vegetables. Drinking plenty of water is also a plus.
- Eat less meat and sugars and avoid hard-to-digest nutrients such as processed food. You can read tips about healthy eating during the menopause here!
- Make sure you consume less salt. On average we eat too much salt, so don't throw that extra dash of salt in the asparagus soup or over the potatoes. No matter how delicious it is.
- Herbal tea works wonders. Think of nettle, goldenrod or fennel.
Discuss your complaints such as abdominal distention with your coach
Do you suffer from abdominal distention during the menopause and would you like to do something about it? We have great sports programs to get fit again. You can read more information about our programs on the website. Or make an appointment on our website for a free trial lesson at one of our many locations.